History of The Faust Hotel
The Travelers Hotel.
Shortly after World War I, New Braunfels' community leaders sought to include a world-class hotel among its attractions to out-of-town visitors. A local businessman by the name of Walter Faust Sr. spearheaded the project. The hotel opened on October 12, 1929, just two weeks before the stock market crash. Originally dubbed the Traveler's Hotel, the hotel was considered one of the best hotels in Texas for the period, and soon became a central meeting place for business travelers and families alike.
When the Great Depression came, New Braunfels struggled through hard times with the rest of the country, but was particularly devastated by the boll weevil blight. This blight crippled the textile industry, on which much of the city's economic welfare was dependent. Despite these hard times, The Traveler's Hotel remained open, mainly due to the determination of Mr. Faust.
The Travelers Hotel was renamed after Mr. Faust in 1936. During World War II, the hotel survived by the reputation it had gained as the "honeymoon capitol of Texas". Soldiers stationed at nearby military bases used The Faust Hotel as a location for committing to their brides before being shipped off to fight in the war.
Since the early days of Mr. Faust , The Faust Hotel has experienced numerous owners. In 1985, the Faust Hotel hosted a celebration to dedicate its recently acquired Texas Historic Landmark plaque as well as placement on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
In the fall of 2009, The Faust Hotel and The Faust Brewing Company were acquired by Powerohm Properties, LLC. This company is an affiliate of Powerohm Resistors, Inc., an electrical manufacturing company, owned by Vance Hinton of New Braunfels, Mike Crowe of Fort Mitchell, KY and Richard Jochen of Katy, TX. With a vision to preserve and restore The Faust Hotel to its Historic 1930's era ambiance, while implementing modern amenities to maximize guest comfort, the Managing Partner, Vance Hinton began the necessary repairs and renovations to The Faust Hotel in the fall of 2009.
All mechanical and electrical equipment was repaired and brought up to code, and work began on the guest rooms. Throughout the history of The Faust Hotel, most of the original furnishings have disappeared, and were replaced by a myriad of miscellaneous furnishings. The effort of outfitting each guest room with period antiques has proven to be challenging and time consuming, but the effort is ongoing and worthwhile. As of the February 2011, approximately a third of the guest rooms have been outfitted with period antiques, yet modernized with flat screen televisions and new heating/air conditioning units. All rooms receive Wi-Fi, and have been outfitted with new bedding, hair dryers, irons, and ironing boards. The work will continue until all rooms are outfitted with period antiques, and modernized with flat screen televisions and new heating/air conditioning units. The exterior of the facility will be cleaned, undergo painting where necessary, and receive new window awnings during the summer of 2011.